I’m a firm believer that God inhabits the praises of His people. In the hardest, darkest times of my life when I couldn’t feel God and needed Him most, I turned to praise. In those moments, I regained my strength, my focus, and my connection with God. Praise should be an integral part of every believers life. When we praise, we take our eyes off of how big our problem is, and see how big our God is. Our perspective changes and with it, our situation.
The great news is that we don’t have to be Grammy Award winning singers for God to appreciate our praise. Just like He does with our prayers, God looks at our heart more than our ability. That’s a good thing because if you’re like me, you may not have a great voice. I like to say, “I may not be able to sing well, but I can praise well!” You can too. Learning to praise well will invite God into whatever situation you’re in to stand with you.
Here are some Bible verses about praise.
- But about midnight, as Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the [other] prisoners were listening to them, Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the very foundations of the prison were shaken; and at once all the doors were opened and everyone’s shackles were unfastened.
Acts 16:25-26 AMPC
- Hallelujah! It’s a good thing to sing praise to our God; praise is beautiful, praise is fitting.
Psalm 147:1 MSG
- Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises.
James 5:13 NLT
- Christ’s message in all its richness must live in your hearts. Teach and instruct one another with all wisdom. Sing psalms, hymns, and sacred songs; sing to God with thanksgiving in your hearts.
Colossians 3:16 GNT
- Let everything that has breath and every breath of life praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! (Hallelujah!)
Psalm 150:6 AMPC
- I bless GOD every chance I get; my lungs expand with his praise.
Psalm 34:1 MSG
- Praise the Lord; praise God our savior! For each day he carries us in his arms.
Psalms 68:19 NLT
- Sing a new song to the Lord; sing his praise, all the world! Praise him, you that sail the sea; praise him, all creatures of the sea! Sing, distant lands and all who live there!
Isaiah 42:10 GNT
- The LORD is my strength and my song; he has given me victory. This is my God, and I will praise him— my father’s God, and I will exalt him!
Exodus 15:2 NLT
- Take my side, God—I’m getting kicked around, stomped on every day. Not a day goes by but somebody beats me up; They make it their duty to beat me up. When I get really afraid I come to you in trust. I’m proud to praise God; fearless now, I trust in God. What can mere mortals do?
Psalm 56:1-4 MSG