Captivating entertainment has never been more ubiquitous, accessible, and affordable. There’s a spiritual battle being waged over our time, attention, and affection. What we treasure determines what we desire (Matthew 6:21).
At their worst…
- Social media – an outlet for negative emotions (insecurity, boredom, loneliness, fear, etc) that breed more negative emotions.
- Streaming video – a celebration of the world’s values (1 John 2:15-17) reinforcing greater enslavement to them. Popcorn propaganda.
- Video games – compelling artificial realities that supplant the real battles and adventures we’re called to engage.
- Music – covert inculcation into the world’s way of thinking. The better the hook, the better we’re hooked.
- Sports – Living vicariously through others, celebrating wins and mourning losses that don’t matter in the grand scheme of things.
- Podcasts – listening to the wrong people solving the wrong problems with the wrong paradigms.
- Online shopping – the insatiable desire to acquire more leaves us with less love, joy, peace, and contentment.
- Pornography – the tearing of souls and relationships resulting in greater separation from ourselves, God, and others.
- Gambling – risking what we should be saving, giving, investing, or using to get out of debt. A playground for greed.
The more we go to these things for life, the more they lead us into death. We become what we behold. What has your time, attention, and affection in 2020?